Thursday 9 April 2015

Valar Morghulis


Winter Is Coming.

 

In three days that is. And no, it’s not the actual season of winter, although where I live that is entirely possible. Game of Thrones starts in three days and to say I am excited is an understatement. Game of Thrones is tied with The Sopranos as my all-time favourite television show. I am literally obsessed with it. To be honest, I was a closet Game Of Thrones fan for years. I was ashamed to say I even watched the show, much less loved it. I felt like I would be instantly judged as one of those Magic: The Gathering type people who hung out in wizarding stores playing Dungeons and Dragons. I also look like the last person on earth that would enjoy Game Of Thrones, or GOT as I called it to be elusive. I was hooked though. I love this show so much, I get emotionally invested in it. Too invested in fact. But I had a problem. No one knew I watched the show, or was a superfan. I had no one to discuss the events of the precious 10 episodes I devoured every Sunday night for 3 months of the year. I remember when a certain main character was killed off suddenly and without warning two Spring’s ago. I came to work on Monday in a fog, emotionally exhausted from my world that had come crashing down around me the night previous. As I settled into my office, I looked around at the other girls just carrying on, living their lives. LIKE NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED. It was then that I decided to divulge my secret, simply so I could talk with someone about it. Natalie was the obvious choice.

“I-I have to tell you something. It’s really embarrassing. And I just need you to not judge me to my face. Wait till later to do it. It’s really hard for me to talk about. I have never told anyone. And neither can you.” My voice quivered as I quietly whispered to her in a corner shrouded in darkness and secrecy. Wide-eyed, she nodded and agreed, the possibilities of what may come out of my mouth running rampant in her head.

 

“I watch Game Of Thrones.”

 

I think she burst out laughing, probably relieved it was something so minor. (To her.) Upon my weeks (and weeks) of testimony discussing the show, (It came pouring out of me like a geyser. I was so excited I could talk about it with a real live person and not some freak on a forum. Wait, I went on the forum, so that made me a “freak” too. Whatever.) she had decided that she was going to give it a try. Well, she and her husband churned through all four seasons within a matter of a month, two at most. I had gained a partner in crime! We discussed it at great length, and sending eachother hilarious memes over text became a new pastime. Last year, another one joined our flock. I had some friends of mine over for dinner on a Sunday evening, and as the night went on it became clear to me they weren’t leaving my home anytime soon. 9pm came and it was then that I had to reveal my secret to others. The instructions came as follows:

“At 9pm I have something really important happening to me. I need absolute silence and absolute darkness. Not a syllable will be uttered. No getting up to get anything. You stay, silent and motionless on the couch. No questions. No talking. No texting. If you can adhere to these rules you can stay. If you feel you can’t, there’s the door.”

 

Maegen and Jordan are family to me and they were at first taken aback I turned into Psycho Bri, and then even more taken aback when they found out what show I was preparing for. But, they were really good sports about it and obeyed all my rules I shouted at them. Around Christmas time of this year Jordan expressed serious interest in starting GOT right from the beginning and catching up in time for the new season. I am happy to report my GOT wolfpack grew by one and he is now a superfan as well.

 

While the storylines are vast and plentiful, it’s not difficult to keep track of them all. I have never experienced a TV show so well-writted and visually stunning. April 12th is the big day when Season 5 is premiering. And I shall be celebrating like a Lannister that evening. (GOT Ref… say what?!)

 

I guess my secret is out now.

 
 

2 comments:

  1. You're killing me with this one! So so funny and so exactly you!

    ReplyDelete