Friday 3 April 2015

Diamonds in the rough


If there is anything similar to a real-life Hunger Games, Winners is it.

 

One of my “Happy Places” involves me slowly perusing the clothing racks and treasure-laden aisles of the Winners located near my house. It is my favourite location, and it is where I have unearthed many of my most prized finds. Winners purchases could be likened to “diamonds in the rough”. It is definitely not for the easily overwhelmed nor somewhere you can quickly pop in and out of. Searching for items requires time and patience. And some items of clothing are questionable, at best. Luckily, my preferred location is well-maintained and kept relatively organized which makes for an easier shop. If I could offer one tip to anyone who has never experienced Winners before, it is that you absolutely cannot go into the store with the purpose of finding a specific item. (Example: Jeans, a new winter coat, shoes, etc). You have to go in with an open mind and no specific demands.

 

Trust me. Winners can smell desperation.

 

There is another drawback as well. I have visited one location in particular that I purposely avoid because it looks like End of Days inside. Everything is on the floor. The clothing is strewn about and randomly located in strange sections, such as the housewares department. Complete nightmare. Organization isn’t high up on the priority list in quite a few locations. And it is everyone for themselves.

 

Probably the best Winners find within the past few years has got to be my North Face winter coat. I needed a new winter coat for several seasons, and I kept buying cheaper more frivolous coats instead of one that would actually do the job and keep me warm. It never occurred to me that I would find one at Winners, as I had never seen one there for sale for women before. I was there just this past summer and there, randomly located in the junior’s section, there it was. Basically, if there could’ve been a spotlight shining down on heaven on it, there would’ve been. It was exactly what I was looking for and literally the only one there. My size, the perfect colour scheme (navy blue with coral trim) and it was a fricken North Face coat for half the normal price. I was ecstatic.

 


My most recent finds were Fidelity jeans (I bought a pair from Aritzia for over $200 4 years ago),  an adorable Kaitlyn Bristowe style top, and another simple yet extremely stylish and comfortable nautical style tee.

 

May the odds be ever in your favour on your next Winners hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment