Friday 1 May 2015

Let's talk about hair


Although I am extremely creative and up for anything makeup-wise, there is one aspect of my life I live by the expression “Less is more”.

 

My hair.

 

My hair has always been a large part of my identity throughout my entire life. When I was a little girl, my hair was always long and always in some sort of ponytail (my personal favourite; the side-pony I rocked 80’s style complete with the infamous scrunchie). I then decided to cut it when I was around 10 years old into the style I sported for the next five years of my life…. The chin-length bob. My childhood best friend and I rocked this same exact haircut complete with soft hairbands that varied in colour for the same amount of time, until I decided to abandon the “look” completely when I entered high school. (Probably for the best). My parents were super strict with tattoos and piercings (none were allowed…. And for that I am forever thankful or else my teenage self would be sporting the Roxy logo as a Tramp Stamp FOR SURE). However, my mom gave me complete free reign to do whatever I wanted to my hair. I was allowed to start colouring it when I was thirteen, and I have never looked back. L’Oreal Feria became my addiction of choice, and if I must say, I was actually quite talented at home haircolour applications. I soaked up all tips and tricks I could learn from magazines. I varied over my highschool years from red, burgundy, light brown and dark brown. But it was in my senior year of high school that I went to the hair salon and transformed myself into a blonde. I loved it, but the upkeep grew far too expensive for a student budget. So, before my Grad ceremonies in May, I chopped all my hair off (into a cute just above my shoulders bob) and coloured it back to dark brown. After high school ended, I would again continue experimenting with hair colour but grow my hair out to long again. I even went back to blonde for a few years straight and I loved it. The key was I gradually worked up to the light blonde shade I ended up with. I was working at a hair salon at the time and I made it through my entire employment keeping my hair super long, but we started playing with lightening my hair gradually.

 

The shortest my hair has ever been circa 1987

Medium length and dark in 2009
 

Blonde in 2010
Short and "bronde" in 2012
 

Within the past two years I have never been so particular about my hair’s overall health as I am now. As my best friend Natalie and I joke, “It has reached 19 Kids and Counting lengths”….. or “I should probably be addressed as Ezekiel now considering I look Amish”. I’ve been able to keep my hair so healthy and long for a few reasons. First, I colour it once a year. You read that right. The girl who used to buy 4 boxes of the Revlon Frost and Glow streaking kits (Remember those?) and use them as all over hair colour when I was a teenager now doesn’t colour her hair. I also haven’t cut my hair in it will be two years this summer. The last time I blowdried my hair was when I got my last haircut two years ago. The last time my flat-iron was dusted off was for my company Christmas party in December. Heat styling tools never touch my mane. This may sound strange to some, but I never brush my hair either. I also rarely wear it in ponytails, for fear of breakage. My go-to style is nothing exciting. Long, straight and boring. I alternate between Moroccan Oil shampoo and conditioner and Pantene BB shampoo and conditioner. (If it were up to me I would only use Moroccan Oil, but it is quite pricey and I go through shampoo and conditioner like crazy). I never ever use any styling products. Sometimes I will run actual Moroccan oil through the ends of my hair after a shower, but that is a rare occasion. My belief is simple with regards to my hair: Less is More.

 
Current look


Natalie you have permission to attack my mane with scissors while I sleep when my hair gets to Ripley’s Believe it or Not lengths.

1 comment:

  1. Lol ....This has me laughing. Especially the "Revlon Frost and Glow". I really have to say... you wear each of these colors and cuts very well but my personal favourite is the current color at Jessa length 😉

    ReplyDelete