Friday 15 May 2015

I'm a Slave 4 U (My weeknight routine, that is.)

As my best friend Natalie likes to point out on (numerous) occasion, I am 800 years old. What she means by this, is that I am not a night owl social butterfly like her and her husband metamorphosis into each night after their kids go to bed. I am not the least bit surprised anymore when I call her at, let’s say, 8:30pm and she answers the phone with “Hey how are you? I’m just on my way to dinner in the city. I think we’re gonna go see a movie after too”.




And it’ll be a Monday.



Natalie has always been a subject of fascination with me, as I am still convinced she drinks the blood of virgins as her source of livelihood. Not only does the woman look nineteen, she also seems to not need any sleep whatsoever. After greeting eachother in the morning, I feel like it’s Groundhog Day every day when she tells me about her previous evening. “Oh, it was good. After the kids went to bed we went out to get coffee and stuff to make nachos, and then watched a marathon of Vikings till about 2am. I got up at 5 to go to Spin Class.” The woman is insane. Me? I lead a different sort of life in the weekday evenings. I am a slave to our schedule and routine. If I am not in my bed with my iPad, a cup of tea and a magazine by 9pm AT THE LATEST, I malfunction. It’s not a rare occurrence for me to be on the phone chatting away in my living room, puttering around on my laptop and watching TV and suddenly glance at the time, and almost drop my phone in horror. “OH MY GOD IT’S 9:01, WE’VE GOT OURSELVES A BARNBURNER HERE…. I GOTTA LET YOU GO HOLY SHIT.” I’m insane as well.



My little (weekday) nighttime routine is something I have grown to be accustomed to, and for that matter, love. After removing all my makeup with my favourite face cleanser from Neutrogena and my favourite eye makeup remover from L’Oreal, I change from my “fancier” comfy clothes that I don the minute I walk through my door after work. They usually consist of Lululemon yoga pants or Danskin fitted sweatpants and a lounge tee from PINK by Victoria’s Secret.  I usually change into PINK by Victoria’s Secret sleep shorts and a matching top. Actually, more often than not, I wear pretty little sleep outfits from the Forever 21 website that I find crazy on sale. Hey, just because I am single doesn’t mean I sleep in ugly pajamas.I actually started making it a point of buying pretty sleep sets about a year and a half ago. I do it for myself, and it makes me feel happy and beautiful even though I’m the only one who sees it. (This is going to a strange place…. Sorry Dad.) Anyways, I love cozying up in my bed with my iPad and watching the latest videos from that day of the Beauty Gurus I follow. And always with a hot cup of Tetley Orange Pekoe tea in one of my many girlie mugs. (I have a slight mug obsession…. Are you shocked?) After I finish with that, I usually pull up Netflix on my iPad and fall asleep to a show of choice. Currently I have been falling asleep to the show “Happy Endings.” Yes, I have seen it all before, but it is just too good. I am re-watching it all anyways. It is then that I am whisked away to dreamland….. only to be jarred awake by the sound of my alarm going off the next morning.



I know I’m not as exciting as someone like Natalie, but that’s my routine and I wouldn’t have it any other way. 



Some of my favourite sleep sets are from Forever 21

Another cute sleepset from Forever 21

1 comment:

  1. In the year of 2017. People around me suddenly begin to hang out with red strapless dresses.I'm feeling curious and suspicion at the moment:"Is this a thing now?"And here's my thoughts after research and the dress that I bought.

    ReplyDelete