Sunday 10 May 2015

Friday Night Lights

The “Last Supper” made another appearance on Friday night.



Natalie and I made plans this week to go for a nice dinner together at our favourite haunt, The Keg lounge. As Friday approached, things took a (familiar) turn towards other, loftier plans. Plans that included Sephora, MAC and whatever else floated our way. Basically, our evening from January repeated itself Friday night, almost to a T. We entered our favourite Sephora in delicious anticipation of the treasures that lay within. I will also admit that upon entering the store, I scanned anxiously, looking for signs that a certain male Filipino Sephora employee was on duty. Sadly, there was no sign of him, and sighing, I turned to follow Natalie to the start of our clockwise tour of the store. I went online to the Sephora website prior to our trip and I was extremely interested in the Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye contour palette. I actually purchased the original Shade and Light face contouring palette a few months ago, and although I have yet to take it out of the packaging, I am excited to try it out as I have heard some great reviews about it. I have never really gotten onboard with the whole Kat Von D makeup thing. She isn’t someone who appeals to me, nor someone I want to take makeup tips from. However a few years ago, my ex-boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend (confused yet?) gave me one of her makeup palettes for Christmas. I was so touched she got me something that a - I was interested in, that being makeup and b - that I didn’t already own. I also have heard rave reviews about the Kat Von D tattoo eyeliner, but again, I never tried it because I felt quite strange to be honest, buying something from her line. Anyways, I am very happy I never ordered the Shade and Light Eye Contour palette online without seeing it in person because it was…. Ugly. I feel like the pictures on the Sephora website makes it look nicer than it actually is. What I saw when I excitedly loomed over the display was a palette filled with 12 strange matte shades of varying dirty brown, reddish brown and matte white shades. It was so bad. Natalie and I kept a running commentary going as we tried to make sense of this palette. It pretty much sounded something like, “What is this supposed to be and how are you supposed to wear this?” about 20 times over. Disheartened, I turned away from the palette I was once so excited to look at and quite possibly purchase, and made my way towards the Marc Jacobs section. As I rounded the corner, I heard a distinct voice booming behind me. “HEY GIRL HEY….”



It was my Filipino boy.



I couldn’t contain my glee as I greeted him. Maybe this was wishful thinking, but I got the distinct feeling he remembered me as we exchanged pleasantries and he left me with “COME FIND ME IF YOU NEED HELP GIRL”. I was so excited to see him. I actually did not see too many products I didn’t either already have, or didn't jump out at me. I actually complained out loud to Natalie about this, however it seemed like a good problem to have. I ended up choosing an amazing little number from the Bite lipstick collection. It was a double ended lipstick, with one shade being a bright neon fuschia colour and the other end a neon tangerine shade. Being only $15, I was so excited to get my hands on this one. I have been LOVING the Bite lip line lately. I think it is an amazing line to support as it is a Canadian line and a woman started it. They also have some of the most luxurious lip products I have ever encountered. I guess I was on a bit of a lip kick, as the other product I chose was a Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. I have heard about these from one of my favourite YouTube beauty gurus, TheCurrentCustom. She has all of them and raves about them all the time. As this was my first Sugar lip treatment, I wanted something pretty neutral and basic. I chose the shade Nude. As I wound my way through the maze towards the till, I was almost physically knocked over by what I can only describe as a “whirling dervish” of a person. It was like the Running of the Bulls as my favourite employee came stampeding through, determined to get to a till before anyone else could. As he rang through my (small) purchase, we gushed over eachother, trading small makeup related anecdotes. I also spent 500 of my Beauty Insider points on an AMAZING perk, a Marc Jacobs set that came with two eyeliners, a mascara and a lipstick all in deluxe sample sizes. I was blown away by how cool this was, as I am notoriously never impressed by any of the points perks choices. Farewell, my lovely man. I will see you next time and I am already looking forward to seeing your next makeup look.






We ventured down the mall towards MAC as I had a jealousy purchase to deal with.



A few weeks ago, my younger sister Dayna had been telling me about a blush a friend of hers had from MAC that she had fallen in love with. I asked her what the name of the blush was (Mineralize blush in Gentle), and was surprised to discover it was something I didn’t already own. Dayna is also a recent University graduate, and as her graduation gift, I got her a rather large makeup “haul” from MAC. Gentle was part of that haul. As I was in the store choosing all of her products, I kept playing around with it, and absolutely loved how it looked. Shimmery, light plummy pink, and simply gorgeous. Well, I didn’t end up buying anything for myself that day, however I kept thinking of the fricken blush. I was consumed with jealousy at the fact that again, someone had something cool that I didn’t have. So, as Natalie and I burst through the doors right before closing time on Friday evening, I had one thing and one thing only on my mind. That blush shall be mine. I also grabbed another angle brow brush, as I needed another one for a new brow kit I started using. (Which I will discuss later.)




MAC Mineralize blush in Gentle


With our shopping trip complete, we sped off towards The Keg where we enjoyed another fantastic evening filled with food, drink and a LOT of laughter. My friendship with Natalie is one of those rare ones, where we can literally spend hours together and continually talk over eachother since we are both bursting to the max with things to say. It should also be mentioned that The Keg Sangria was newly offered as part of the summer drink menu, and it was absolutely delicious. Natalie is convinced she can recreate it, and I am looking forward to a long summer ahead of sangria in her beautiful backyard, watching our kids play together and sharing a lot of laughs.




The Keg Sangria and Bellini



Besties for life. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, IMHO, I think you should give that cutie pie Filipino boy your blog URL so he can feel famous. Seriously, good salespeople are a rarity these days, and he needs to know how much his personal service is appreciated. :-) And... your makeup obsession rivals, equals, and in all likelihood surpasses, my fabric one. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete