Tuesday 24 March 2015

Back to Basics

I’m always packing.


What I mean by “packing” is not a typical weapon that might come to mind initially. My weapons of choice are essential to my beauty arsenal and to my everyday makeup routine. I am talking of course of makeup brushes.






While it looks quite overwhelming at first glance, I have actually pared down my collection of makeup brushes I have amassed over the years. Everything I have is of use to me. I have also invested in good quality brushes, as I believe it makes the difference.


About 80% of my makeup brush inventory is MAC. I believe they make some of the best brushes available. The price may be slightly daunting to some, however I have got a little help from flashing my MAC Pro discount card at the till upon my purchase. Their eyeshadow brushes are the best I have ever used. Hardly any blending is required as they apply eye makeup so perfectly.


The Holy Grail of foundation brushes in my humble opinion, and this should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me well, is Shiseido. Upon first glance this brush is nothing to write home about. It is simple looking, small-ish and basic. The result it gives is quite the opposite. I have tried pretty much every way you could apply liquid foundation and this has given me my best result. Phases have come and gone where sponges, other brush types and even my fingers have come into play. Using this foundation brush has proven to be my preferred method of application. Simple, quick and uniform all result and I couldn’t ask for anything more.






 


I recently purchased a Dior powder brush and have been using it to apply my pressed powder for about a week now. I know I know what you are thinking….. what organs were sold to pay for that? Surprisingly enough the price was extremely comparable to the MAC powder one. Any full review of it will be given once time has passed and I can really see the difference and benefits. First impression…. remains to be seen. Like I said, I have only begun to introduce this brush into the mix so stay tuned. Purchasing another Dior brush might be on the horizon sooner rather than later as there is something too delicious and sumptuous as owning such a revered brand. And this is a girl who loves her brands.





 

In an upcoming post I will discuss a recent shopping roadtrip I took with one of my best friends. The thought of adding not one, but three more makeup brushes to my collection wasn’t a thought that entered my mind that day. As I wandered over to the Bobbi Brown section of the store we were shopping in I immediately was drawn to the makeup brush selection. They looked irresistible. The bristles were full and felt luxurious and the handles strong and sturdy. A blush brush was actually a purchase I could justify and I decided that one would be coming home with me. I have been considering branching out and trying something new, as the MAC one I currently use seems a touch too small for my liking. Upon further inspection, I noticed an eyeshadow blending brush that intrigued me. It was quite larger than my MAC one, and being as though I had many, MANY points to “spend” that day, I could reasonably add that to my purchase. You know, for research purposes. (I can justify buying ANYTHING. Try me, I dare you.) The last brush was probably the most unexpected one. Upon speaking with the Beauty Advisor while I was examining the Bobbi Brown brushes, she pulled out from her belt their foundation brush. It was unlike any I had ever seen. Being as I am a slave, if you will, to the Shiseido one, I didn’t warm up immediately to the idea of owning another foundation brush. But feeling the bristles, swirling it around on the back of my hand, and the sheer fact is was so different than my current one I was using, I made the decision I had to have it. None of the above mentioned Bobbi Brown brushes have entered into my usage yet. Not too sure what I am waiting for, but hopefully soon I will meet and have a fantastic experience with them.


A few other random brushes are in my possession. A Lise Watier eyeshadow blending brush. A Bedhead (random, I know) undereye concealer brush I have rarely used. A Smashbox highlighting fan brush. Some Urban Decay eyeshadow brushes. None of which are used enough to warrant mentioning. I’m not sure why these made the cut when I did my brush purge…. But apparently they did.


One can never have too many brushes. At least that’s what I believe. But you know, having so many needs to be justified. Good thing I can justify anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment