Tuesday 8 March 2016

Building a foundation

When it comes to foundation, there’s a category of women who look amazing without it. They don’t consider it a necessity or part of their everyday makeup routine. Their skin is radiant, flawless and gorgeous. They look the same in the mornings when they wake up as they do at night when they crawl into bed. Effortless, easy natural beauty is something they are accustomed to. Rarely will you find them scouring the makeup stores in search of any kind of foundation. They are happy without it.



I am not one of these women.




This girl won't be seen in public without her armor!




A few words come to mind when I think about going a day without wearing my foundation. Words like Horror. Disgust. Fear. I’d rather chew glass, honestly. One time I was overcome with a sense of bravery and ventured out in the early morning to the Starbucks drive-thru, oversize sunglasses plastered across my face of course, completely-makeupless. I kept looking for the Mean Nun from Game of Thrones to chant “SHAME” and toll a bell at me the entire drive there. Alas, that is my only time I have ever been seen in public without a full face of foundation. It is such a security blanket for me and I have tried my fair share of different ones over the years. My OG favourite and only one I will let touch my face now is my beloved Lancome Teint Idole 24H transfer-proof foundation. Amazing does not even do this justice. Having talked about this previously on a few different posts I won’t go into a ton of detail about it but I seriously can’t say enough good things about it. For someone like myself it’s perfection. Amazing coverage, staying power, and available in a TON of shades.




Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H foundation in 260 Bisque N




I also use a powder foundation as well, because I want as many layers as possible to hide the Swamp Monster that lurks beneath. The Lancome Dual Finish is amazing and currently what I’m using every day. With powder foundations, I am a lot more easily persuaded to try different things. In the past year I have tried the Estee Lauder Doublewear powder foundation and the Clarins Everlasting powder foundation. I wasn’t thrilled about the Estee Lauder one but I actually really liked the Clarins one and plan on going back to it again when I am in need of something new. However there’s just something so luxurious about the Lancome Dual Finish. First off, the smell is quite enticing to me. I can best describe it as smelling quite similar to L’air du Temps perfume by Nina Ricci and it just so happens that this specific perfume is my mother’s signature scent. Every time I smell it, it always transports me back to being a young girl watching her get ready for a night out or an event and feeling overcome with joy. Overcome with joy because that meant she was going out, therefore LEAVING THE HOUSE and that meant I could sneak and watch TV shows I wasn’t supposed to and eat snacks I also wasn’t supposed to (sorry Mom).  I guess in some small way everytime I open the compact and inhale the scent of the creamy powder, I am reminded of her and feel her presence even though she is currently living in another country. Scent aside, the coverage this powder foundation gives is superb. Perfect for me.




Lancome Dual Finish powder foundation in Matte Wheat II




If you have any suggestions for a foundation or powder foundation I would love to hear about them. Feel free to send me an email (you can find my email address in the “About Me”  section) or comment below.




Any excuse to go shopping.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I can provide fond memories for you, even if they are of me leaving, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....I love your writing!!.....but you are no swamp monster! Not ever!

    ReplyDelete